A Fracture Revealed, Not Healed

This actually looks quite like the famous drag queen who gained notoriety for eating dog poo? You know the one.

She’s called “Madame Vice President” these days. Show a bit of respect.

4 Likes
2 Likes

That’s because the mealy mouthed cowards capitulated. Supposing they took a stand worthy of patriots in the teeth of possible political disadvantage?

Just now, the Michigan Republican party is showing the way out, possibly, or possibly showing that civil war in the R party is a possibility. The Trumpers nominated the SecState and Attorney General, at which point many of the old-school Republicans revolted. I am interested to see the outcome of this.

I’m not usually a fan of civil war but that’s one fight I’d love to see. But the capitulation to Trump in 16 was so pathetic that you have to wonder how many people of integrity are left. Even if the ship can be kept afloat there’s almost no crew capable of sailing her.

That’s revisionist history. Trump waged a strategic destruction of each other candidate. He picked them off one by one, and did so pretty handily. There was no “capitulation”. In 2016, Trump seized the immigration issue, and used it with great skill. Of course, no one knew that he was completely lying about what he was going to do, but that is politics, isn’t it?

His ability to campaign is undeniable. He is a good candidate on the stump, because he is an alpha male, with the swaggering bravado that appeals to many chuckleheads. I agreed with him on the issues of immigration, China, tariffs, skilled worker visas, and several others. I had doubts about him, but thought that he was a skilled and savvy businessman, and would appoint good choices.

His incompetence and stupidity were quickly revealed. His idiotic insistence that his crowds were the biggest in history, despite the obvious photographic evidence, was the presage of 4 years of continual doubling-down on losing positions. His destruction of Jeff Sessions was terrible. Sessions was an early Trumper, and gave up a certain Senate seat for the cabinet role of AG. Trump wanted a consigliere, and Sessions had too much honor to do that. He fired Sessions after 3 years, and then supported the incompetent Tuberville to run against Sessions. Unforgiveable.

In addition, he allowed Kushner and Ivanka to destroy his immigration agenda and his work visa agenda. Nepotism has NEVER been a good approach, and in the case of Trump, his incompetent lying stupid children are worse than is Trump.

So I am hoping for the indictment.

2 Likes

It was one of the greatest hostile takeovers in history. I think historians will be talking about it for generations. But surely ‘capitulation’ is not too strong a word. Surely the party just bent over for him. The number of open resistors was tiny. I think of the integrity of Flake and Kasich.

I have often confessed that if I was a Yank instead of a Canadian, I might just possibly have voted for him in '16 myself. Desperate times can require desperate chances.

Amen. Orange coveralls to match his hair.

1 Like

I half-agree, although I don’t think the Trump phenomenon is finished. Eventually, some clever 50- or 60-year-old politician (a youngster!) will assemble the themes, recreate the pre-Depression Republican party – nationalist, protectionist, wary of foreign involvements and immigration, overcoming class and geographic divisions by a nationally oriented politics – similar to TR or Disraeli’s Tory democracy. Then Trump will become irrelevant and just a buffoon, rather than a politically significant, albeit grating, buffoon.

I can’t understand the fascination with Piketty. His economic and historical analysis of inequality, such as it is, has been multiply times discredited. The real issue, as Piketty himself half-admits, is sociopolitical: a certain technocratic, neoliberal class has taken over. Unlike in previous generations, political parties and broadly representative institutions have been weakened to the point where they’re unable to check this class, even after train wrecks like the tech crash, two unfinished wars, open borders, opioid abuse driven by deindustrialization, the 2008 crisis, and COVID (both the pandemic itself – unimaginable without globalization – and the botched response to it). Instead, this class has merged with media, academia, and nonprofit world to the point where we have a corrupt, incompetent, full-of-itself ruling elite not answerable to anyone and imposing unchecked costs on the rest of us.

I usually don’t agree with Schopenhauer. But that “peak trans Trump” graphic is hilarious. Let us know if it’s under copyright.

3 Likes

Ma’am to you and me.

The Trump issues are still pertinent. Today’s USA is being badly damaged by the open-borders policy of the Dems. The huge numbers of work visas, which are largely unknown to most USA voters, take millions of jobs from USA workers, and even more importantly, fail to put billions of dollars into Social Security and Medicare due to exceptions granted by the Department of State. The USA government has made it cheaper for employers to hire foreign scabs, and these also do not strike or file EEOC complaints. USA workers are badly harmed, but the corporations love these visas.

Trump I think is finished. He’s a rotting maggot-filled corpse kept alive by nostalgic stupidity by the most stupid of his followers. More and more of the actual politicians know that he is the only thing standing between the Republican Party and a great Nov 2022 and possibly a better 2024. Trump is the only thing that can stop the Republicans.

1 Like

Yes, sort of. I don’t think Trump’s influence and blessing are worthless – yet.

I don’t disagree with that. I don’t see him running successfully for POTUS, however.

1 Like

@GeorgeQTyrebyter I think you’re closer to the truth than not. However, I don’t think Trump will cease to be of importance until after 2022. The Republican party is still in confusion and chaos about its message at this point. Trump might end up playing some king (or queen?) maker role.

On the immigration issue, I think it’s important to return to basics. The US needs immigrants for both demographic and economic reasons. Real immigration looks like this: people enter and work legally, contribute as constructive guests, get legally into queue for citizenship until the queue ends with a ceremony where you’re sworn in as a citizen. Real immigration does not look like this: open borders; illegal entrants undercutting US labor standards; crime gangs operating on both sides of the border and illegally importing drugs, guns, and people; such gangs growing rich and powerful in the US, then moving back to El Salvador, Honduras, etc., and terrorizing those countries so that more people flee north to Mexico and the US; and so on.

The system created by the 1986 immigration reform was a pretty good system. It was enforced as passed and intended for less than a decade. By the late 1990s, under Clinton, the twisting of the work visa system in the ways that you mention had started; the twist was extended and expanded under Bush Jr. These later developments were mainly driven by corporations and the C-suite class looking for ever-cheaper ways to get their lawns mowed (as a legal Venezuelan immigrant put it to me) and create an indentured class of visa holders unable to leave their sponsoring employers and move on normally into the US labor market.

The Trump Labor and Justice Departments could only do so much to stop the basic inflow of illegals. But they did put a lot of pressure on employers to not hire illegals. This had the intended effect: wage levels at the lowest end of the labor market jumped the most in 50 years – until COVID and the response to it wrecked the economy, especially smaller businesses, which employ most workers.

This and the “bad trade deals” issues have been the key wedges in the Republican party for 30 years, since Buchanan and Perot ran in 1992. They are Trump’s true avatars. They reflect an ancient divide in the Republican party between “Wall Street” and “Main Street.” That division went into deep background in the 1960s and 1970s, but was bound to re-emerge in the globalization era. As Wall Street and the rest of corporate America has fled to the Democrats during and since Clinton and now have gone Woke, the Republicans might yet become the middle and working class party again, as they were before the 1920s and 30s. They have a generational opportunity for deep inroads into the Hispanic and black vote.

2 Likes