Musk and Moderation

I think you have to have a heart of stone not to laugh your ass off at the Twitterverse’s reaction to Musk’s takeover.

10 Likes

Pretty solid prosecution there Johnny. I guess it’s a matter of style, I didn’t think he was more out of line than yer basic secularist and I doubt that if he was asked specifically he’d really compare Christianity to QAnon. I’d be charitable. Still one could choose to take it the way you and Super did and I can’t say you’re outright wrong to do so.

And a very good one. I think I’d go with inaccurate – claiming that things happened that did not happen.

So he did. Best I can do here is offer a draw.

2 Likes

Yep. At least the author didn’t make an offhand comment criticizing Trump! Back in the day that kind of unforgiveable sin would dominate the comment section regardless of the quality of the rest of the article.

3 Likes

One can debate whether Christianity is comprised of bad ideas. (I think it’s a mixed bag myself.)
I would endorse the claim that it’s extremely unlikely to be true, but I agree that it’s unwise to include this kind of dismissive aside in an essay about a completely unrelated topic.

3 Likes

True – trannie bashing is what’s au courant!

1 Like

and there you go, tossing about words like “trannie” to make point…

At least I have one …

1 Like

I know you are but what am I…no duh
it’s been a while since I’ve seen that one! (nice!)

4 Likes

I agree. I’d only say his inclusion of that word shouldn’t really make or break what you take away from the essay, whether you’re Christian or not. But I guess everyone’s mileage varies.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I don’t see a lot of ‘trannie’ bashing online. Indeed, I don’t see any. I do see the word ‘transphobic’ used quite a bit (without any justification). I do see death threats against GC (Gender Critical) feminists without any apparent consequences (https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1510359599165100032). For the actual distribution of power, take a look at what happened to Dr. Devin Buckley at Harvard. She was dis-invited to speak (on a completely different subject) because she (Dr. Buckley) has GC beliefs.

3 Likes

Look closer.

https://forum.quillette.com/search?q=trannie%20@GeorgeQTyrebyter

1 Like

Yabut you shouldn’t just use George, he’s an outlier, in any case fact is that all but about maybe three of us here are trannie bashers. QC is not woke.

2 Likes

A world without string is chaos.
A forum without decorum is noise, and neither cologne nor musk can make it intelligible. @Obamawasafool .
It’s important to have an idea what the ‘problem’ is before you try to solve it. What we here would mostly agree is censorship based on supposed falsity of ‘facts’ actually makes the stench worse.

Could not agree more. Fortunately, freedom of speech is not a “problem” at all. So, we can turn our attention towards more pressing matters.

Bashers though? Are you a “basher” Ray?? Count me out of team basher. Just because you disagree doesn’t mean you need to accept their terms about your usurping their humanity or bashing or whatever. We disagree about what and/or how important sex is, it has nothing to do with my assigning your human status or whatever the shit Dr Phil role you need me to fulfill. Fuck off I’ve got my own shit to deal with who in the fuck are you.

If you can ‘pass’ to my judgememt I’ll use the feminine pronouns sure. If you can truly pass ill use them in earnest without ever knowing the difference.

I think this is the very crux of the whole jig.

1 Like

I’m in that camp, I think. I don’t have a stake in the transgender issue at all. I simply don’t care. I am not a “basher” by any stretch. I find the discussions about transgenderism to be completely meaningless and so incredibly niche. I’d rather see a lively debate about the best way to restore authentic, antique Shaker furniture.

As the term was intended, yes. It’s a bit of rhetoric that is returned in the same spirit in which it was given. Don’t take it personally tho, I didn’t mention you. However, if we were to used more moderate speech, I think we are both opposed to trans-activism are we not? And in particular we agree that teaching little kids about the rainbow of their future sexual options and the rich number of genders they have to chose from is not appropriate, yes?

1 Like

“social media platform’s moderation policies”

Is moderation the word used by nice people for censorship and cancellation?

I was cancelled from Twitter a month ago for an innocuous post. It seems all my lists, followers and those I’m following were erased.

3 Likes

Content moderation is moderation of the substance of posts and comments. Under content moderation, posts and comments on certain topics are banned or otherwise restricted no matter how decorously they are presented.

← Has the author of this article even used Twitter?

Twitter cancels and rubs-out users. That can’t, by any stretch of the imagination, be described as ‘moderation’. I’m calling this article out as fake reporting by Quillette.

2 Likes