Not quite the University of Whiteness but:

This is the way:

… no more sniveling and hiding and keeping one’s head down. Stand up and be counted. I’ll be sending them a bequest or whatever you call that.

3 Likes

Not the best title for the thread, Ray … but I agree that this seems like a promising endeavor. With a few exceptions, the Board of Advisors is quite impressive. Hopefully they’ll receive enough funding to follow through on their plans and provide a real alternative to the Woke status quo.

3 Likes

I’d like to have a long conversation with some quality people about the (de)merits of political satire. Swift wasn’t really advocating for eating babies in ‘A Modest Proposal’ nor do I really want a U of W, yet somehow I feel that the sarcasm of the ‘proposal’ is necessary. You know how, when someone says something really stupid, sometimes the best thing you can do is say something even stupider? Yeah, you do, cuz that’s what snideness is. And sometimes it’s the right tool. Yet. Yet, it seems like the opposite of the moderation I’m usually in favor of. Does one fight wokeness with something equally and oppositely deplorable? Mind, it would only be a false flag. Everyone except the woke would know it was a sort of joke. Dunno. I’m genuinely conflicted about the whole thing. Thoughts?

2 Likes

A seemingly minor detail to most observers far away, but “UATX” is not good name. It is far too easily entangled with the University of Texas at Austin, which is either UT or UT-Austin, or a few other variations. I have nothing against “TX”, but UATX, every time I see it, looks like some strange mis-abbreviation for UT-Austin. And “ATX” in my location, definitively stands for Austin TEXAS.

They need to get TX out of it, and go with just Austin. Perhaps UAUS if that is available. The name Austin is derived from Augustine. That;s a find beginning. The State of Texas might be a good place for this endeavor. But UATX will lead to more confusion than the Cleveland Grauniads baseball team.

2 Likes

You have a point there. Nuts, you should tell them before the concrete sets.

Bari Weiss seems like an unwise choice…

1 Like

Didn’t plenty on the right get their knickers in a twist over Jimmy Kimmel’s ivermectin horse & hospital gags? No offence Ray but at least he’s (supposed to be) a comedian…

Nuts, there is that. I read her substack and she’s a clever lady, but a bit of a fundamentalist when it comes to Israel, no doubt. Hate to think she’s a hypocrite but it looks like she is.

As I like to say, comedy and sarcasm are high-wire acts and you don’t impress anyone unless you risk a fall. But nothing yet discovered cuts thru the baloney like comedy – which is why the first thing all fundamentalists do when they possibly can is shut down comedy. And, if if you want to test whether or not you’re a fundamentalist, ask yourself if you can laugh at yourself or your religion. Righties fail as often as lefties.

1 Like

You certainly refer to nuts a lot! Any chance you’re transitioning from dolphin to squirrel?

1 Like

No … no plans at the moment … mind, the Mystery of Trans-substantiation is not really predictable or explainable. When Identity happens, it happens.

My buddies there did seem almost overly interested in the tree rats tho. Frankly I find it unseemly. Mere rodents.

So give me some feedback on the above. When are we going too far with sarcasm or satire or snideness? Or are there no rules and we just hafta play it as close to the edge as we dare?

Sorry for being species-supremacist there. Some of the best Canadians you’ll ever meet are rodents.

1 Like

@RayAndrews - don’t do it. You’ll have to change your pronouns and everything.

2 Likes

I know it. Nope, I’m staying in the ocean. Mind, when I was a kid I was unofficial tree climbing champ at my elementary school so it’s not that there aren’t certain intersectionalities to ponder here. But are we ready for pan-trans-species?

2 Likes

In the 80s, we (a bunch of students) created a poster that advocated nuclear war as an improvement on US society, especially New Jersey. Those from New Jersey didn’t think it was funny, but we did.

2 Likes

Remember National Lampoon? I still treasure a copy of ‘Foreigners Around The World’, it will be mentioned in my will. You’d be arrested today of course. Or ‘Understanding Africa’.

2 Likes