Poison control calls spike as people take livestock dewormer to treat COVID-19

70% of Mississippi poison control center calls now are side effects from ivermectin

LOL.

5 Likes

After reading the headline I was a bit surprised to see you “laughing out loud”. People being poisoned is no laughing matter. However now that I have read the article I have to agree, its a heck of chuckle. I got a smile on my face as I write this :slight_smile:

I find it entirely unsurprising that people who ingest animal medications end up feeling a bit sick. I find it equally unsurprising that those who find the data for the safety and efficacy of vaccines lacking, but the data for Ivermectin compelling, would not bother doing anything sane like “checking the dosage” before consuming something.

Goodness, I can laugh because no one has actually been hurt by this stupidity.

In fairness though. The Ivermectin warriors have been saying repeatedly that its a very very safe drug. And this is a real world example of how right they are. Even taking doses designed for large livestock only produces mild poisoning symptoms in humans.

Heh, thanks for sharing this :smiley:

4 Likes

What would be really funny is if people tried to ingest the cattle pour-on, it’s a solution based on a light hydrocarbon, used to smell like kerosene.

2 Likes

Yeah I can see it now.

Someone who spends all day proclaiming “Covid is barely worse than the common flu, assuming it exists at all. And the vaccines are even worse still”, while simultaneously staring into their cup thinking “Yes this is revolting, but I have to drink it to be safe”.

2 Likes

No one died…so it’s ok to laugh…and yeah this is hilarious.

When you need a health department warning to tell you that concentrated drugs meant for large animals is maybe not great for human consumption…yeah, these are the same folks who are well equipped to…ahem…vet the finer points on the pros and cons of vaccination.

1 Like

It is not at all clear what the 70% refers to here.

If you read the health alert, it says:

• the Center “has received an increasing number of calls” from individuals with potential ivermectin exposure;
  • “at least 70% of the recent calls” involve ingestion of livestock ivermectin.

Are they saying that 70% of all recent calls involved livestock ivermectin, or that 70% of ivermectin-related calls, involve livestock ivermectin?

A clue to how many calls are involved, might be found in this sentence:

• “85% of the callers had mild symptoms, but one individual was instructed to seek further evaluation”

85% is approximately 5 out of 6. So this is consistent with there being a grand total of six phone calls, with one of them leading to further medical attention.

1 Like

How about “100% of people should not take medicine meant for animals”?

This simple advice doesn’t require a whole lot of reading between the lines or looking for deeper meanings. People who are worried about COVID should speak to their doctors. And then they should not ignore their doctors when they say “Go get vaccinated”.

And certainly do not ignore them when they say “NO THATS MEANT FOR THE LIVESTOCK! Take it out of your mouth!”

2 Likes

Well…there seems to be an enormous amount of paranoia and misinformation swirling around the issue of “Ivermectin”…I just (9:05 PM, Monday August 23, 2021) heard a fairly lengthy diatribe on CNN, from Chris Cuomo, advising people not to take “livestock de-wormer”, i.e, Ivermectin…Apparently, the “Main-stream Media” is trying to say: "The only approved way to deal with Covid19 is the VACCINE!

And Quillette recently linked to "Poison control center calls spike as people take livestock dewormer…

Hmmm…Ivermectin is also a human dewormer (look it up)…it is one of the less expensive prescription treatments for pin worms, and other human parasites.

But many many doctors actively treating Covid19 all over the world have said that Ivermectin is an effective TREATMENT for Covid19 [NB…perhaps not a preventative] because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties (established through extensive clinical research 5 to 10 years ago), and it is a reasonably safe drug for humans (established through clinical research, mostly in Africa, for 20 or 30 years.

The piece linked by Quillette had a “scary photo” showing livestock Ivermectin, in 3 mg tablets. Well… the 3 mg tablet is also the human dose…the number of tablets is based on body weight. My prescription was 11 tablets (weight 200 lbs.) one time, and then 11 more 2 weeks later.

This reminds me of the left-wing attack on hydoxychloroquine (a moderately good, inexpensive, and safe treatment for Covid19) because it was strongly supported by Donald Trump.

I think it is very possible that the BIZZARRE attacks on Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine may have cost hundreds or thousands of lives in the past 18 months. And I think it is very possible that no one will ever suffer any consequences for their anti-science politically motivated attacks, and for the loss of life.

3 Likes

That may well be their opinion. But what is the basis for that opinion? It might even turn out that they are correct…but the proof is simply lacking at this time.

Subsequent studies have shown it does not work.

It’s not good enough that treatments “possibly” work in theory…you have to show some proof that they actually work, before you utilize them as though they do.

1 Like

I do hate the XXX% increase. Like they tried to scare people that there was a 300% increase in child hospitalizations for COVID. When I finally ran the numbers down it went from 3 to 12 out of a huge population. So yes…but as a function of the population the increase was a fraction of a precent.

Fixed it for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unless they take it in human sized doses.

Alle Dinge sind Gift, und nichts ist ohne Gift, allein die Dosis macht dass ein Ding kein Gift ist.
All things are poison, and nothing is without poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison.

—Paracelsus

Ivermectin is a medication that is used to treat parasite infestations.[6][7] In humans, this includes head lice, scabies, river blindness (onchocerciasis), strongyloidiasis, trichuriasis, ascariasis, and lymphatic filariasis.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Seems Claire was too quick on the “LOL” trigger.

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear remains good advice.

3 Likes