The folly of racial pride

Race and its forced imposition on a people are corporeal colonization. Wherein lies the pride? How can one be authentically proud to be something that was created in one as a negative and to consciously denote an absence of one’s humanity? Blacks, to this day, complain bitterly that their racial identities, which were imposed on them, are used by whites to hold them back in life as a source of discrimination. Yet, paradoxically, they proclaim love of that identity and cherish the source of the anguish they believe their oppression comes from. I believe black folks cannot continue to have it both ways. Black cultural depression is drawn at the fault line of this logical contradiction. Like a battered wife loving her abusive husband and justifying the love by pointing to the ways the abuses are proof of his responsiveness to her—therefore, she must be alive— blacks are in love—for all their protestations—with their abusers and the object of that abuse—racial identity.
2 Likes

All animals judge the things in the world around them by what their senses can tell them about those things, they then categorize things with similar characteristics together. When the first Portuguese explorer met his first African he noticed the guy had a very low albedo compared to other people he’d met - and the guy he met noticed the Portuguese chap had a much higher albedo than himself and his own people. Racial differences are noticed by everyone, as are things like sex, age, weight and attire. We’re innately tuned to notice such things because they’re relevant to us and our interactions with others.

There’s no such thing as “color blindness” with regard to race (unless we’re literally blind) at best there’s color indifference.

Racial identity is comprehensively defined as the qualitative meaning and salience one ascribes to one’s own and other racial groups,

That’s a definition of racial identity I found, a black person whose racial identity was important to them would point out the obvious which is that the qualitative meaning and salience they ascribe to their racial identity is not the same as that ascribed by white slave owners.

Reading through the article you link to I find a string of similar inconsistencies.

I do agree that defining yourself and your family by your race is destructive - you’re just putting yourself and them in a cage, creating a boundary that’ll confine your descendents, restricting what they’re able to achieve. But man, despite what he says, because of how he says it, it reads as if he can’t get past seeing things in black and white and ascribing importance to race. And yes, though I noticed his race, it’s unimportant.

2 Likes

I would say your ability to read and interpret complex text is quite limited, perhaps even impaired in some way. What conclusion you have drawn from this article is precisely the opposite of what the author communicated.

I would say your ability to read and interpret simple text is quite limited.

The sentence from my comment you quote clearly means that I actually agree with most of his conclusions but that I think a lot of his arguments are unsound.