The Myth of Pervasive Misogyny

Originally published at: https://quillette.com/2020/07/27/the-myth-of-pervasive-misogyny/

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. ~Timothy Leary Many feminists and progressives argue that the West is plagued by pervasive misogyny. In fact, this claim is made with such frequency, and is so rarely challenged, that it has become part of the Left’s catechism of victimhood, repeated by rote without a…

11 Likes

data forwarded to support the narrative that we live in an implacably misogynistic society, in fact, may be evidence of precisely the opposite

Indeed, the evidence has been mounting for some time now. A good summary of this research—thank you. I’ve been aware for years that it is past time for society to take its thumb off the scale—“the patriarchy”, “implacable misogyny”—its a false narrative.

22 Likes

This isn’t really the process by which misogyny is pervasive, though…It’s not caused by petty beliefs or stereotypes about the sexes.

Women are still vastly underrepresented in most positions of highest power and authority relative to their numbers. White males still populate most of those positions. Those white males are not going to value women and their concerns or understand the perspectives of women as well as other women would. That’s just the reality of human nature. Everybody understands their own perspective very well and those of other people not so good.

“The mainstream view is that we live in a sexist patriarchy that is persistently unfair toward women and privileges men in nearly all ways.”

Not really sure how the authors square this view as “mainstream” with the evidence they present suggesting other wise. Louder voices aren’t necessarily mainstream views as google searches of particular words aren’t proof of. The myth perhaps is this view is mainstream?
Let’s not get all ‘Greta’ over a few vociferous marxist cranks…

6 Likes

This falls right in line with the myth of diversity, the myth of the glass ceiling, the myth of systemic racism and pretty much every other fictional issue that’s being peddled nowadays.

24 Likes

@JasT
This falls right in line with the myth of diversity, the myth of the glass ceiling, the myth of systemic racism and pretty much every other fictional issue that’s being peddled nowadays.

Its quite an “industry” really. I wonder if economists could begin to put some numbers together to show just how ‘economically productive’ the myth/lie industry is.

13 Likes

Could people stop saying misogyny when they mean sexism?

19 Likes

The media is certainly profiting off of it as it’s wall-to-wall nonsense on some networks.

1 Like

Vastly? And since this is due to women and men freely making different life choices in general (at least in western cultures), what do you propose we do about that?

Those white males are not going to value women and their concerns or understand the perspectives of women as well as other women would.

Source? Do all women have the same concerns and perspectives, and are these separate from the concerns and perspectives of all men?

26 Likes

I’m not sure why you want me to provide a source for such a basic premise of existence…That people understand their own perspectives and experiences better than others understand them is a rather basic tenet of existence. Is that really a controversial statement in any way?

I didn’t say anything about women all having the same experiences or beliefs, but on the whole those experiences and beliefs differ in important ways from the male experience. Like men will never know as well as a woman who has gone through childbirth what it was like to go through childbirth, etc. Other women who haven’t gone through childbirth won’t know that as well either, I suppose.

I don’t see much mention of which country/countries these findings are taken from. I suppose I am left to assume it must be Quillettania.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely for one’s own perspective as an individual. I would not claim to understand the perspective of anyone else simply because I am of the same sex, however. And there are many more important factors than sex in determining one’s perspective in life.

Like men will never know as well as a woman who has gone through childbirth what it was like to go through childbirth, etc.

I think men pretty much understand how childbirth works and all. They also know how pain feels, so they can probably imagine the basic scenario. I’m not sure how not having given birth personally would alter any legislative decisions made by men, though.

Other women who haven’t gone through childbirth won’t know that as well either, I suppose.

Right, not all women have the same experiences and perspectives, and the same is true for men. I’m sure fathers tend to know a lot more about the experiences of childbirth and child-rearing than childless women do.

24 Likes

Just once I’d love to see these gender ideologues put their money where their mouth is and say women who aren’t mothers should not have input into these decisions.

15 Likes

Well, if you want to just take the example of childbirth and run with it like that I guess…I was just using it as an illustration of the point, not an exhaustive list of differences between the male and female experience.

Men will never know as well as women what it is like to be pregnant for nine months. They won’t know what it’s like to have a period. For heterosexual males, their perspectives on women can be affected by the possibility of sexual attraction. The point is that bias is introduced not just from stereotypes of positive or negative traits the sexes hold, but from the power differential between the sexes itself through nothing more than who holds the keys to the kingdom and controls the spice. Because male perspectives get far more play in powerful circles, and they don’t understand other people’s perspectives well in general.

This does not just apply to men and women. It applies to the inability of people in power to appreciate, value, or contrast the differences between themselves and their own interests with those of people not in power in general.

If I didn’t read this well-written, evidence-based article demonstrating a widespread bias in favour of women I would have continued to believe that our supposedly patriarchal society is biased against them.

That’s the narrative that is constantly drilled into our heads.

8 Likes

Spoken like someone lacking in both experience and perspective. If we “understood our own experiences” well enough, we wouldn’t need psychology, or (for that matter) literature. I suppose this is a foreign concept to solipsists who only see their own perspective, and that as if through a glass darkly.

22 Likes

And only today the NYT has an op-ed claiming the real reason Clinton lost to Trump was misogyny.

13 Likes

This may be a statement of fact but the reason behind it may well be because women are choosing not to enter such extreme occupations.

Peterson talks about research on this:

The Gender Scandal

15 Likes

Our first-person experience is rarely regarded as our primary source of empirical fact but more commonly as ‘merely’ subjective or ‘only’ subjective or ‘just’ subjectivity.

2 Likes

Well, yes actually. It is one thing to have a perspective, or an experience, and another very different thing to understand it. Which is why old people are more often wise than young people, and why Zen masters are generally incomprehensible to most, both young and old.

9 Likes